Ursula K. Le Guin, Vonda N. McIntyre, and Laura Anne Gilman are among the writers offering their fiction for free on BookViewCafe.com. The new website promises something new every day and most of it unavailable elsewhere. The project currently includes twenty-four professional authors.
Book View Cafe represents a new approach to publishing made possible by the Internet. While most of the fiction on the site will be free, authors will also be offering expanded work, additional content, print versions, or subscriptions for a fee.
With sales of ebooks skyrocketing and the advent of new technologies such as TextOnPhone and Amazon’s Kindle ebook reader, it appears that the book publishing industry may be in for a shakeup similar to that experienced by the recording industry. In recent years, independent musicians have been taking their work directly to fans, and it’s working for them.
Member Ursula K. Le Guin points out, “given the deteriorating climate of print publishing, the Café seemed like a great experiment to be in on.”
Nebula Award-winner Vonda N. McIntyre expands on that: “I’m delighted to be involved in an innovative project with a talented group of writers. I’ve experimented with offering readers access to my work on my website and have been pleased with the results. In addition, it’s a lot of fun to get direct feedback from readers.”
Author and former editor Laura Anne Gilman says, “Book View Cafe will allow readers to get their reading fix – and discover new authors – easily and quickly. It’s a win-win situation for everyone, and one I’m excited to be part of.”
The diversity of Book View Cafe’s authors guarantees something for just about everyone. “Book View Cafe will make sure the readers get the stories they want, when, where and how they want them. We are the library in your back pocket,” says Project Manager Sarah Zettel.
Readers can access new content by visiting the website: Book View Cafe.
- Pittsburgh Zombies Reclaim World Record - July 11, 2009
- Will Eisner Comic Industry Awards - July 10, 2009
- Damnation Books Announces Initial Titles - July 10, 2009
- The House of Lost Souls – Book Review - July 9, 2009
- Futile Flame Available - July 9, 2009
- Pocket Books Partners With Permuted Press - July 8, 2009
- Robert Dunbar – Featured Author - July 8, 2009
- Stages of Undress: The 3rd Collection – Book Review - July 8, 2009
- Apple of My Eye – Book Review - July 8, 2009
- The World More Full of Weeping Available For Pre-Order - July 7, 2009