Contact: Jason Sizemore, Publisher
War Stories: New Military Science Fiction
Apex Publications is happy to announce the release of War Stories: New Military Science Fiction (http://www.apexbookcompany.com/products/war-stories) edited by Jaym Gates and Andrew Liptak. Collecting 23 stories of science fiction and fantasy, this anthology examines the effects of war, prior, during, and after battle, on both the soldiers fighting and the people who love them.
War is everywhere. Not only among the firefights, in the sweat dripping from heavy armor and the clenching grip on your weapon, but also wedging itself deep into families, infiltrating our love letters, hovering in the air about our heads. It’s in our dreams and our text messages. At times it roars with adrenaline, while at others it slips in silently so it can sit beside you until you forget it’s there.
Join Joe Haldeman, Linda Nagata, Karin Lowachee, Ken Liu, Jay Posey, and more as they take you on a tour of the battlefields, from those hurtling through space in spaceships and winding along trails deep in the jungle with bullets whizzing overhead, to the ones hiding behind calm smiles, waiting patiently to reveal itself in those quiet moments when we feel safest. War Stories brings us 23 stories of the impacts of war, showcasing the systems, combat, armor, and aftermath with condemnation or glorification.
Instead, War Stories reveals the truth.
War is what we are.
Publication date: October 7th, 2014
Trade Paperback ($16.95)
JAYM GATES is the editor of the zombie anthology Rigor Amortis, which was a Barnes and Noble Top 10 pick in 2011, and short fiction author, published in The Aether Age: Helios, Goldfish Grim, and Heroes! She has a strong background in organizing, supporting, ad launching Kickstarter projects, such as Geek Love, the highest-funded anthology in Kickstarter’s history. She is the Communications Director for the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America.
ANDREW LIPTAK earned his Master of Arts in Military History from Norwich University, and has written extensively about military science fiction for io9 and Sf Signal, and has written for such websites as Kirkus Reviews and Strange Horizons, as well as Military History for magazines such as Armchair General and the Norwich Record. He is currently an editorial assistant for Lightspeed Magazine. His first story, “Fragmented,” is set to published by Galaxy’s Edge Magazine.
APEX PUBLICATIONS (www.apexbookcompany.com) is a small press dedicated to publishing exemplary works of science fiction, fantasy, and horror. Owned and operated by Jason B. Sizemore, Apex publishes the twice Hugo Award-nominated Apex Magazine. The Apex catalog contains books by genre luminaries such as Tom Piccirilli, Catherynne M. Valente, and Lavie Tidhar.
- Richard Christian Matheson Interview with Rick Hipson - March 27, 2017
- JournalStone’s Amazon only e-book holiday sale! - December 14, 2014
- Mary SanGiovanni’s Latest Limited Edition Chapbook ‘No Songs for the Stars’ Has Been Released! - October 18, 2014
- Jamais Vu Issue 3 – Magazine Review - October 18, 2014
- Nevermore Publicity is set to re-launch on Friday 10/10/14! - October 18, 2014
- Apex Publications Is Set To Give Us ‘War Stories’ - October 17, 2014
- Dark Horse Is Set To Give Us Richard Corben’s ‘Rat God’ - October 17, 2014
- Disordered Minds – Book Review - October 17, 2014
- Where All Light is Left to Die: A Collection of Darkness – Book Review - October 16, 2014
- We Want Your Horror Face! - October 16, 2014