Apex Publications brings together eight tales of the dark side of San Francisco’s ‘Loin sector in this collection by horror legend Gene O’Neill. Several of the short stories included have appeared in prestigious magazines such as Cemetery Dance Magazine, Dark Wisdom, and the anthologies Unnatural Selection, Horror Beyond II, and The Grand Struggle. The tale “Balance” was a Stoker Award Finalist.
The ‘Loin, Mr. O’Neill explains, is “a colorful section of [San Francisco], but rundown now like the famed Bowery used to be in NYC, hookers, pimps, junkies, all kinds of scam artists, but a certain kind of sleazy excitement in the foggy air at night. Some of the characters in the various stories are composites of real people living in the ‘loin back then. E.g.: There is a description in “The Apotheosis of Nathan McKee” of an aging junkie playing classical music on a corner for hat money, a tawdry angel trying to flap her broken wings and fly up out of the sleazy muck.” The ‘Loin will also be described by one-time resident and Mr. O’Neill’s son, Gavin O’Neill, in the introduction to the collection.
Some of the tales included in this collection are “The Apotheosis of Nathan McKee,” about a man who discovers a very special ability after receiving a vicious beating; “Bruised Soul,” the story of an ex-boxer returning to the Tenderloin after a stay in a Sate Hospital, but still battling his own demons; and “Lost Patrol,” which follows a wounded vet after his return to the ‘loin after Vietnam, who is stalked by a supernatural presence. The collection also includes the original tale “Bushido.” The book will be approximately 200 pages long.
Publication date: August 2009
Apex Publications is a small press dedicated to publishing exemplary works of dark science fiction and horror. Owned and operated by Jason B. Sizemore, Apex publishes the critically acclaimed Apex Science Fiction and Horror Magazine. In 2006, Apex Publishing branched into producing novellas, collections, and anthologies, earning a 2007 Bram Stoker Award nomination for the Aegri Somnia anthology.
- Pittsburgh Zombies Reclaim World Record - July 11, 2009
- Will Eisner Comic Industry Awards - July 10, 2009
- Damnation Books Announces Initial Titles - July 10, 2009
- The House of Lost Souls – Book Review - July 9, 2009
- Futile Flame Available - July 9, 2009
- Pocket Books Partners With Permuted Press - July 8, 2009
- Robert Dunbar – Featured Author - July 8, 2009
- Stages of Undress: The 3rd Collection – Book Review - July 8, 2009
- Apple of My Eye – Book Review - July 8, 2009
- The World More Full of Weeping Available For Pre-Order - July 7, 2009