Gerard Houarner’s 6th collection, A Blood of Killers, originally published in limited hard cover and trade paperback editions by Necro Publications in 2009, is now available as an ebook from Crossroads Press. The collection’s 26 stories feature 13 reprints, with 8 having received Honorable Mentions in various editions of St. Martin Press’ Year’s Best Fantasy and Horror, as well as 12 original stories, including a 30,000 word novella. Ten of these original stories were selected for Honorable Mention for Year’s Best Horror 2.
Description: Prolific horror author Houarner (The Oz Suite) assembles a disturbing collection of 13 reprints and 12 originals. Most of the tales highlighting his twisted supernatural assassin, Max (featured in 2001’s The Beast That Was Max), are brief, but “Like Smoke Rising from the Burning Ghats” offers detailed descriptions of a young boy in Calcutta becoming something monstrous, and the novella “Dancing with the Skeletons at the Feast of the Dead” is almost symphonic in its depiction of brutality in a small Mexican village. The other stories are no less dark: in “Let Me Tell You a Story,” a babysitter manipulates her charges into committing acts of evil, while “The Shape” is a harsh tale of mental illness and abuse. The bleakness might turn off some readers, but fans of intense, psychology-driven horror and sharp writing will be more than satisfied.
Check it out on the publisher’s website: A Blood of Killers
- Limbus, Inc. Limited Edition Available For Preorder - February 14, 2013
- HWA 2012 Specialty Press Award Goes to Centipede Press - February 14, 2013
- Deeply Odd (Odd Thomas) - February 14, 2013
- The Vampires of Bloody Island - February 14, 2013
- Deep Cuts Anthology Honors Women In Horror - February 13, 2013
- The Demonologist: A Novel - February 13, 2013
- Dark Regions Press New Sponsor For Bram Stoker Awards® Weekend 2013 - February 13, 2013
- Chasm - February 13, 2013
- The Mad Scientist’s Guide to World Domination - February 13, 2013
- Ghostman - February 12, 2013