José Cepeda Garcia’s previously published novel, Fabulario de las Sombras (Shadow Fables) made him the first Dominican Republic author to have a book published on Amazon Kindle. His latest release, 21 Bizarre Short Stories, is the first Dominican book distributed via an international print-on-demand system.
21 Bizarre Short Stories is a collection of stories based on Caribbean myths. Divided into five sections, the stories touch on various themes of dreams, the universe, and magic. They are then blended into one volume to create a strange yet somehow familiar world-a look at human nature from an entirely unique point of view. This is an exquisitely crafted set of stories about seemingly everyday people and scenarios, but Garcia has a knack for twisting ordinary circumstances and creating something brand-new-and ultimately disturbing. His characters emerge from all levels of society. But from there, no one can predict what will happen to them.
Readers will meet a devilish Chihuahua who demands a diet of human flesh; a man whose wife has filed for divorce and wants half of everything-which he happily provides via a power saw; and a politician trying to escape a dead man’s shadow-his spirit-looking for a new host. There’s also the unfortunate young man whose body parts keep getting lopped off for one reason or another, and the mild-mannered sleepwalker who does unspeakable things in his sleep. An innocent day at the beach reveals a half-human, half-horse creature, and a Haitian boy is captured by an all-female tribe of women with backward feet who hope to increase their numbers. And then there’s the space traveler, pulled up to the bar, drinking vodka.
To learn more and/or order: 21 Bizarre Short Stories
- Pittsburgh Zombies Reclaim World Record - July 11, 2009
- Will Eisner Comic Industry Awards - July 10, 2009
- Damnation Books Announces Initial Titles - July 10, 2009
- The House of Lost Souls – Book Review - July 9, 2009
- Futile Flame Available - July 9, 2009
- Pocket Books Partners With Permuted Press - July 8, 2009
- Robert Dunbar – Featured Author - July 8, 2009
- Stages of Undress: The 3rd Collection – Book Review - July 8, 2009
- Apple of My Eye – Book Review - July 8, 2009
- The World More Full of Weeping Available For Pre-Order - July 7, 2009